Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Tally Aluminum Scope Ring\Base combo??? Looking for suggestions

I just purchased a Kimber 8400 Mag in 300 Win Mag and failed to find rings locally. When Googling for them it takes me to the Kimber website where they are trying to sell me Tally Aluminum rings.

I not a fan of aluminum rings or bases especially on the magnum cartridges but have never experienced the Tally ring and base combo before.

Title
    Premium Member
    My engineering background has me wanting to remove joints and degrees of freedom in mount systems. So, bases screwed to the receiver with rings on top doesn’t quite appeal to me.

Everything I’ve read about the Talley rings/mounts was positive. Then a co-worker mentioned the DNZ Game Reaper was his choice for bolt actions. While I haven’t used either, I’m certainly inclined to try the DNZ Game Reaper first because of the tie bar.

You somewhat hit on an appealing feature of my CZ 527, dovetails cut in the action with Warne rings on top.

Title
    Premium Member
    My brother swears by DNZ and I was going to go that route but then a very good fiend of mine who is from AK and due to a "community living situation" was the "designated hunter" and has killed literally thousands of deer shared something with me.

Every rifle he has ever owned with a receiver that was open on the top would eventually brake a one piece scope base. He had a theory that using a 2 piece base and adding the ability to flex ever so slightly kept them from breaking.

I have Leopold Dual dovetail basis on my 338 Win Mag but they are steel. Steel bases and rings are heavy and I just paid a lot of money for a 6.5 LB rifle. And am trying to follow the manufacture recommendation and not add unneeded weight.

BTW Everything you said is what keeps running through my head....

Title
    Premium Member

Tally Aluminum Scope Ring\Base combo??? Looking for suggestions

Hmm. For a one-piece base to break, I’m guessing torsion. As in incorrectly tightened screws causing the base to distort or it was a poor fit (not bedded) from the beginning. Obviously without more details we could guess indefinitely.

Perhaps there is a bit more give in the multi-piece system with the joints slipping. Could also be a bit more capability to take-up misalignment, since the mounts/rings are separate. I’m thinking of the DNZ Hunt Master and Talley designs too.

Regardless, I would use a decent alignment tool to check before installing the scope. Got one from Brownells during a sale.
    Last edited by RustE; 08-31-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustE View Post
    Hmm. For a one-piece base to break, I’m guessing torsion. As in incorrectly tightened screws causing the base to distort or it was a poor fit (not bedded) from the beginning. Obviously without more details we could guess indefinitely.

Perhaps there is a bit more give in the multi-piece system with the joints slipping. Could also be a bit more capability to take-up misalignment, since the mounts/rings are separate. I’m thinking of the DNZ Hunt Master and Talley designs too.

Regardless, I would use a decent alignment tool to check before installing the scope. Got one from Brownells during a sale.
    Agreed! I use a Wheeler Engineering alignment and ring lapping tool.

it is also a "blind mag" and i worry about restricting access to the chamber with a one piece base.

Title
    Premium Member
    The Talley and dnz are both excellent products. As far as one piece bases breaking, I would have to agree with the guy who was thinking there was a different underlying problem. All of the old timers I grew up around always liked one piece bases because “they stiffened the action, making it stronger”. I’ve fired thousands and thousands of rounds from rifles with one and two piece bases, No difference to me. I think your point about crowding the top of the action for loading and unloading, since it is a blind box magazine, is very valid, and I definitely prefer a two piece design for rifles like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk